August 20, 2017
 
 
                             CHURCH HISTORY          
 
In 1918, a Prayer Band of eight women came together in the home of Emma Mockabee with a vision to establish itself as a church body.  It is credited to Betty Henry for giving this Prayer Band a name, The Nazarene Mission, and the first church was organized in her home. During it's early organization, The Nazarene Mission moved several times while establishing itself as a church body. 
 
In February of 1919, Rev. Baxter Barnett was called to serve as the first Pastor of this newly formed church.  With the support of several ministries and charter members, Rev. Barnett delivered the first organized service.  Rev. Baxter Barnett held this position from 1919 to 1920.
 
Nazarene faced many challenges and continued to grow under its former pastors:  Rev. Will Moore, 1920 -1922, Rev William Dickerson, 1922-1923, Rev Issac Derkins, Rev. William McClure, 1923-1925, Rev. R.J. Miller, 1926-1934, Rev. Felton Houston, Sr. became ill during the year of his pastorate, and assisted by Rev. Drake.  Thereafter, Rev. Mitchell D. Banks, Rev. Bransford Utlely, Rev. Justin D. Marks, and Rev. Joseph L. Trask, Sr. served Nazarene Missionary Baptist Church. These former pastors strived to grow Nazarene and organized it to serve its members and community through various ministries, new facilities, and strong leadership.
 
In March of 1989, Larry A Rascoe, Sr. was called to continue to grow and lead the flock of the Nazarene Missionary Baptist Church.  Under his leadership, Nazarene has grown to have two morning worship services.  A Christian  Education wing was built in 2004.  Joshua Academy Charter School and Preschool is a ministry that has been developed through a vision God placed on the heart of Pastor Rascoe. Nazarene has celebrated 95 years of ministry. TO GOD BE THE GLORY!